This sweet and sour meal will leave your mouth watering.
4 pieces tilapia (or use a whole fish, if possible)
½ cup cornstarch
2 onions, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
2-3 green chillies, chopped
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp vinegar
½ cup tamrind (if you can buy fresh tamrind from a Chinese store, this is really good…comes in a box)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2-3 tomatoes, wedges or cherry cut in half
1 bunch coriander, chopped
For the sauce (can make this ahead of time):
- Slice onions and fry them in some oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and green chillies, onions, green onions, salt and pepper, and vinegar. Fry onions till light brown (caramelized).
- Add tamrind and brown sugar and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add coriander.
- Set aside.
For the fish (make this just before serving):
- Dust outside of fish with cornstarch (put it in a plastic bag and shake it).
- Heat 1” of oil in deep frying pan and when very hot, add the fish.
- Fry it for 4-6 minutes on each side until crisp and cooked through.
Put the fried fish on a serving platter and pour the hot sauce on top. Serve with garlic basil rice (A Taste of Thai brand) and sweet chili brussels sprouts (recipe here). Enjoy!!