Spice up dinner with this Jamaican meal…
This meal has a little bit of everything and is sure to satisfy every taste bud.
For the jerk chicken,
1 whole chicken or 4 chicken leg quarters, fat removed
2 tbsp jerk chicken powder or paste
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 onion, chopped
- Pour all marinade ingredients into a large Ziploc bag, add chicken, and massage the marinade into it.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Take chicken out of fridge 30-60 mins before cooking.
- Cook in a large frying pan with onion over medium heat for 10-12 mins on each side.
- Add a bit more fresh lemon juice to taste.
For the rice and beans,
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups of rice or wild rice blend mix
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp jerk powder or paste
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups water
4 green onions, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Sautee onions for 2-3 mins; add celery, red peppers, jalapenos, and garlic. Sautee for 3-4 mins.
- Add rice, beans, salt, and the jerk seasoning. Sautee for 2 mins.
- Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil. Turn down to medium heat and cover pot.
- Let cook for 15 mins.
- Add green onions and stir. Cover again and cook for another 5 mins.
- Turn the stove off, keep covered. Let sit for 5 mins before serving.
For the plantain,
2-3 very black plantains (the blacker the sweeter)
2 tbsp butter
- Peel the plantain and slice length-wise in half.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter. Sautee the plantain in the butter over medium heat for 5 mins on each side.
For the Swiss chard,
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch of Swiss chard, thoroughly washed & coarsely chopped
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Sautee garlic until just translucent.
- Add the Swiss chard and salt and pepper. Sautee for 2 mins.