Quesadillas are great when you aren’t sure what to make for dinner because you can usually find random ingredients in your fridge to stuff them with and they always turn out delicious.
5-6 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp & 3 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white vinegar
10-12 mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme
2 red pepper, sliced
2 jalapenos, chopped
8 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (we used mozzarella)
8 tbsp salsa (we love Garden Fresh Jack’s Special)
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup cooked chicken (optional)
Optional sides: extra salsa, greek yogurt or sour cream, guacamole
- Sauté onions in 2 tbsp oil on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add 1 tsp salt, brown sugar, and vinegar. Continue to sauté for another 5-10 mins until caramelized.
- In the meantime, sauté mushrooms in 2 tsp oil on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and thyme. Sauté for another 2-3 mins.
- Remove mushrooms from frying pan .
- Add 1 tsp oil to the same pan and add red peppers and jalapenos. Sauté for 5 mins.
- In a frying pan, put a tortilla, sprinkle some cheese on top, and layer 2 tbsp salsa, ¼ each of the onions, mushrooms, red peppers, cilantro, and chicken (if desired). Add more cheese and cover with another tortilla.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 mins. Cover the frying pan with a large plate and flip the quesadilla onto it. Slide the quesadilla back on to the frying pan and cook for another 5mins.
- Place onto a cutting board. Using a pizza cutter, cut quesadilla into 4 triangles.
- Repeat for the remaining 3 quesadillas. Serve with salsa, greek yogurt/sour cream, and/or guacamole, if desired. Enjoy!